This neighborhood was the location of the original Arapaho encampment, on the high ground at the confluence of the S. Platte River and Cherry Creek. As Denver grew in the early 1900's, the area attracted affluent residents seeking homes up-wind from the smelters in new branded neighborhoods like the Scottish Highlands. In the mid 20th century large numbers of Italians followed later by primarily Latino residents migrated to the area. Today, the neighborhood is the center of rapid urban redevelopment and investment, again shifting both the physical and social character of the neighborhood. The design borrows elements from the Arapaho tribal flag, with an alignment similar to the Scottish flag, using the colors of both the Italian and Mexican flags.